Dr Alexandros Apostolakis is an assistant professor in Tourism Marketing at the Department of Business Administration, School of Management and Economics, Technological Educational Institute of Crete – University of Applied Sciences. Alexandros joined the department in 2011. He is also a visiting research fellow at the University of Portsmouth, UK, and an affiliate lecturer at the Greek Open University. Alexandros's research interests and publication activity mainly focuses on the tourism industry (the examination of individual preferences through stated preferences discrete choice modelling) and comprises of over 30 contributions to textbooks, peer – reviewed academic journals and peer reviewed academic conferences. In particular, Dr Apostolakis has been conducting research on the evaluation of individual preferences for future policy initiatives in hospitality, tourism and the cultural sector.
Moreover, Alexandros acts as associate editor in the Anatolia Journal, and the Regional Science Enquiry Journal. At the same time, he acts as guest editor and reviewer for all mainstream high impact peer review journals in the tourism field (Annals of Tourism Research, Tourism Management, Tourism Economics, Journal of Travel Research and others). At the same time, Dr Apostolakis is working on two EU funded projects (Holy Grail and European Islands Continue Education on Resources Efficiency Virtual Gateway –VIREG).
Alexandros graduated with a bachelor's degree (BSc) in Economics with Politics from the University of Plymouth, UK in 1999. He carried on with a postgraduate degree (MSc) in Local and Regional Economic Analysis from the University of Portsmouth, UK in 2000 and a PhD degree from the same University in 2005. His thesis examined individual tourists' preferences for two cultural resources in the island of Crete, Greece. In parallel to his PhD work, Alexandros was working as a research assistant at the Centre for Local and Regional Analysis (CLREA) in the department of Economics, University of Portsmouth.
Alexandros's Publication List (selected Work)
- Manasakis C., Apostolakis A., and Datseris G., (2013), "Measuring the Efficiency of Superior Hotels; Evidence from Crete", International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, Vol. 25 (4), pp. 510 - 535
- Chatziantoniou I., Filis G., Eeckels B., and Apostolakis A., (2013), "Oil prices, tourism income and economic growth: A Structural VAR Approach for European Mediterranean Countries", Tourism Management, vol. 36, pp.331 -341
- Mitrokostas E., Apostolakis A., (2013), "Strategic CSR and Competition in the Tourism Industry. A Theoretical Approach", Tourism Economics, vol. 19(4), pp. 967 – 975
- Apostolakis A., and Jaffry S., (2013), "An Analysis of Monetary Voluntary Contributions for Cultural Resources: The Case of the British Museum", Tourism Economics, vol. 19(3), pp. 631 - 651
- Apostolakis A., (2014), "Individuals' Perceptions for Natural Resources; The Case of Cretan Beaches", Anatolia Journal, Vol. 25 (1), pp. 117 – 130
- Apostolakis A., (2007), "The Convergence Process in Heritage Tourism", In: Dallen T. (Ed.), The Political Nature of Cultural Heritage and Tourism, Ashgate Publishing: Aldershot.
- Apostolakis A., (2008), Διοίκηση Τουρισμού Πολιτιστικής Κληρονομιάς στην Ελλάδα – Η Περίπτωση της Κρήτης, Eκδοτικός οίκος "Σταμούλης", (Ηράκλειο Κρήτης), (in Greek)
- Papatheodorou A., Zheng L. and A. Apostolakis, (2012), "Hedonic Price Analysis in Tourism Research", In: Dwyer L. (Ed.), Handbook of Research Methods in Tourism, Chapter 2, pp. 170 – 182
- Hamed A.H., Jaffry S., and Apostolakis A., (2014), "The Saadyital Island Cultural District in Abu Dhabi", in: Marques L. (Ed.), 'Creative Districts Around the World', Chapter 23, ISBN/EAN: 978-90-819011-3-0
- Suwaidi H., Jaffry S., and Apostolakis A., (2014), "Examining Friends and Relatives (VFR) Demand in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates" Chapter 12, In: Backer E., King B (Eds.), 'Visiting Friends & Relatives: Exploring the VFR Phenomenon', Channel View Publications (to appear on December 2014)
- Apostolakis A., (2013), "Effective Integration of Cultural Resources into Rural Areas", Paper Presented at the International Networking Conference 'Cultural Values and Tourism Development in Rural Areas', Heraklion Crete, 17th – 18th of October 2013
- Apostolakis A., Apladas A., (2014), "Spatial Differences in reported Subjective Well – Being", The Cases of Heraklion and Rhodes", Paper presented at the 18th Conference of the Greek regional Scientists' Association, Heraklion Crete 8th – 9th May 2014
- Apostolakis A., and Jaffry S., (2014), "Examining Non – Visitors' Profile. The Case of the British Museum, London", Paper presented at the 18th International Conference of Cultural Economics Association (ACEI), Montreal Canada, 24 – 27 June
- Jaffry S., and Apostolakis A., (2014), "The Impact of a Local Cultural Festival on City Image. The Case of Portsmouth Festivities", Paper presented at the 18th International Conference of Cultural Economics Association (ACEI), Montreal Canada, 24 – 27 June
- Apostolakis A., Kourgiantakis M., and Hong J., (2015), "Examining Consumers' Preferences for Wine Attributes. A Case Study from the UK", Paper Presented at the "Contemporary Trends and Perspectives in Wine and Agrifood Management" Conference of the Academy of Business (EMAB), hosted by the University of Salento, Lecce, Italy, 16th - 17thJanuary, 2015.
Alexandros's Consultancy Work Experience (selected)
- The Chichester Festival Theatre Economic Impact Study, (2010), Centre of Local and Regional Economic Analysis (CLREA), University of Portsmouth (with Pamela Dent and Shabbar Jaffry)
- Portsmouth Harbour Branding Study, (2011), Centre of Local and Regional Economic Analysis (CLREA), University of Portsmouth (with Shabbar Jaffry, Faye Sizeland, and Adam Cox)
- An Evaluation Study for the Business Plus (B+) Scheme, (2012), Centre for Economic Analysis and Policy (CEAP) University of Portsmouth (with Shabbar Jaffry, Alan Leonard and Liz Sharples)
- Using Data Envelopment Analysis to Measure Hotel Efficiency in Crete, (2012), Business Economics & New Technologies Laboratory (BENETeC) Working Paper Series Number 03, Department of Economics University of Crete (with George Datseris and Constantine Manasakis)
- Economic Impact Assessment of Portsmouth Festivities 'Great Expectations' 2012 Event, (2012), Centre for Economic Analysis and Policy (CEAP) University of Portsmouth (with Shabbar Jaffry, and Alan Leonard)
Alexandros's Research Interests
- Tourism Marketing and Management
- Stated Preferences Discrete Choice Analysis
- Cultural Heritage Tourism
- Survey Data Analysis
- Business Entrepreneurship
Alexandros's profile in Social networks
1. Google scholar: http://scholar.google.gr/citations?user=bF_i8m8AAAAJ&hl=en
2. Research Gate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Alexandros_Apostolakis